.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 04, 2005

Nightcap with Bwana - explanation/clarity/apology(?)

_________________________________________________________________________________
NIGHTCAP WITH BWANA



This morning, I commented on a report from The Washington Post on the President’s poll numbers. My comments provoked the following emails from two friends who are both very bright (ergo not morons) and still support Bush (well, one wholeheartedly, and the other, up to a point).



The comments were:



__________

Bwana:



What makes you think that the “moron base” is not really the “smart solid based” and the so-called “smart” negative base is the “desperate crazy fringe?”



You undoubtedly recall (because you studied American history more than 30 years ago and don’t think the Civil War took place in the 1930’s in an early athletic arena called the Dust Bow) that Lincoln looked like an absolute political loser; but then Sherman took Atlanta, marched to the sea cutting the Confederacy in half and Democratic candidate Gen. George “let’s not fight, let’s just bugout” McClellan became the John Kerry of his times.



On the other hand, one can always be wrong and find that turning the country over to Chuck the Schumer, Barbara the Boxer and Ted the Great Swimmer is a winning idea.

______



To this, I replied:



It seems to me that when 70% of the country believes that we are on the wrong track it is pretty hard to sustain the argument that the “moron base” is a “smart solid base.” But, my Republican friends do take comfort in two out of three – (i) smart (ii) solid (iii) base.



As for Bushie, it is clear enough that he will see resurgence in the polls. That is the American way and many missteps by the modern-day McClellans are sure to follow. Of course, the modern-day McClellan has had the recommended sex change operation and renamed hisself Hillary.



On the subject of whether the country should have been or should be turned over, my friend Clxxxx, a right wing yahoo like yourself (!), reminds me that we don’t have choices, we have alternatives, and on that score, we probably chose the better alternative at the time.



Alternatives do, however, have pluses and minuses, so like an alternating current, we will see phases when the negative outweighs or overrides the positive.



______

and the second comment was:



as you read the following, please understand I agree with your assessment of the job of this President. But I take issue with your characterization of certain of his supporters.



Is not calling people morons harsh? Simply because you are in the 33.3% who are at the other end of the spectrum does not make you correct (though you may be) in your political views. I find it just as reprehensible for either extreme to vilify the other. As educated as you are, surely some other form of demeaning those who disagree with would be more fitting.



I enjoy your stuff!

_______





to which I replied:



No offense taken and I’m sorry you took offense.



I think, if you read carefully, I point out that he has support among “independents” and also among “Democrats” and “And when you consider that he has lost a substantial amount or Republicans while retaining but a handful of Democrats, it would appear that the more or less “guaranteed” one-third, is not guaranteed at all in his case.”



The point is not that everyone who supports Bush is a “moron” but that the guaranteed one-third on either end of the spectrum do tend to be morons.



One of my friends, whom I constantly rib by calling him a right-wing-redneck-yahoo, quickly assured me that he was not a moron although he still loves Bush – mostly because the “alternatives” were and remain horrible. I probably agree on that in many respects.



So, perhaps I’ll send an explanatory note and also point out that some of the reaction is understandable and predictable.



Hope this makes you think I haven’t totally lost objectivity. I am NOT a Democrat. I voted for Bush the first time around. I truly believe he has either taken a wrong turn or been misled, probably the latter. I do believe that he has set us back 50-100 years socially and economically. But, as these things go, terrorism remains the number one priority and he may be still the best person on that front because, at a minimum, he understands the problem.





_____



and my friend responded:



I do, indeed, note that you point his support form independents and Democrats. But that support, as you know, is weak for the most part. He is losing support on all fronts, it seems.



Like you, I think Bush has been misled. And like your friend, I think the alternatives to Bush were worse. I committed the sinful act of voting for him a second time, because I could not buy into Kerry at all.



I agree with your assessment that this President has set us back economically by at least 50 years. My support has waned because of the issues of economics more than any other. (Lately, the integrity issue has become one for me as well, but the cynic in me leads to pass much of that off as politics as usual.)



Anyway, your points as always well taken.



Thanks!

_________________





Okay, what is going on here? Well, first, I did not call anyone and everyone who supports Bush a moron. I was merely pointing out that, in my view, on any question one will find one-third on either end of the spectrum. Some might argue that these fringe elements are only 10, 15, or even 20% but not fully a third. My point is that these extremes, which I call the “moron base” on any subject, exist on ALL issues, Democratic Republican, Religion, Abortion, Sports, you name it.



What I was trying to emphasize is that George Bush has suffered a horrific erosion of his “moron base.” The fact is that the one-third who would have said yes to any question in support of Bush has eroded while the one-third who would have said no to any question about Bush remains steadfast and even imbued with a sense of righteousness.



It is important to recognize that of the 39% or so who believe that he is doing a good job as President, we have 78% of Republicans supporting him, along with 11% of Democrats and 33% of “independents.”



Not all of the Republicans, Democrats and Independents fit into the guaranteed one-third. Therefore, there has been erosion of his “moron base.”



As I pointed out to my friend, when 70% of the country believes we are on the wrong track, there is perforce erosion of the one-third in his guaranteed base, and surely, the 30% who believe we are still on the right track include many who are intelligent, thoughtful people. I disagree with them, but that is a different issue from the point I was addressing.



One other point to ponder is: I am prepared to bet that if my thesis is correct that one-third on each end forms the “moron base” for any proposition, 80% of Americans would, nevertheless say they fit in the middle third!



Ah well …



Cheerz….Bwana
_________________________________________________________________________________

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Search Popdex:
http://www.blogrank.net/cgi-bin/blogs/rankem.cgi?id=bwana